Read a Proverbs every day beginning on October 1 and check back here daily for a prayer guide for the church through scripture. Let's pray these together as a church. Scroll all the way down.
How to pray Proverbs chapter by chapter or one verse at a time: Begin by praying and asking God for wisdom and guidance as you study Proverbs. You may want to pray Ephesians 1:17-19 as you begin. Take a small portion, verse or chapter of Proverbs.
- Read it slowly and take time to quietly meditate on it. Don’t hurry but be still.
- Have a journal or diary and write down any insights God gives you regarding those verses. You may want to start a Proverbs Journal.
- If you are studying a chapter of Proverbs, take a sheet of paper and make a list of “Benefits of the Wise” on one side and a list of “Disadvantages of the Wicked” on the other side.
- Have another sheet of paper with a list of “Wise Advise from God” for those verses that do not go into the other two categories.
- On the second half of this sheet write “My Prayer for Wisdom” and write out a prayer, thanking God for what you learned from the chapter and asking for His help for wise and righteous living.
- Pray the Proverb back to God asking for His help to obey and refrain from the ways of the wicked.
- Thank Him for showing you His wisdom through these verses, and ask Him to remind you during the day to obey His wisdom. Be specific.
- Memorize a proverb every few days and meditate on it during the day, saying little “breath prayers” to God. For example:
“Lord, teach me to walk in truth and mercy this week.”
“I commit my work to You now. I want my way to please You.”
“Show me how to bless my family through the words I speak.”
“I ask for wisdom and understanding as I do my homework.”
“Teach me to walk in the fear of the Lord today.”